[Coco] NitrOS-9 release plans [Was: Suggestions for New NitrOS-9]

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Fri Apr 4 23:43:12 EDT 2014

Hi Tormod and Everyone!
Thank you for all the hard work you and everybody else has put into the
NitrOS-9 updates.  I will be sure to check them all out.  I'm checking out
all your build commits now and hg pulling and updating my own local copy.
I'm really enjoying being able to create my own copy of NitrOS-9.  :)  Your
instructions a while back really helped to put me on the right track in
getting my own local copy of the NitrOS-9 Distribution to build
successfully.  Thank you.
I noticed in the build I did on February 14, 2014 that the errmsg file had
no error messages in it.  I noticed this very recently when I was running
the NitrOS-9 6809 L2 Drivewire Coco 1 version on my Coco 1 in my Data Center
a couple of days ago.  I was running it on an FD-500 floppy controller with
a Tandy Disk Basic 1.1 rom in it.  The controller was plugged into my
Glenside IDE Controller which was connected to a 4.3GB hard drive.  Of
course Drivewire 4 was running on my PC.  The only content in the errmsg
file was one line containing the full pathname to the errmsg file in the
NITROS9 subdirectory structure if I remember correctly.  I'm building the
latest source now to see if the contents of the errmsg file have been
restored.  Thank you all for all your hard work that has been done on this
massive project.
By The way, how do I get the SWTPC version to build?  I'd like to test it
out on my N8VEM ECB 6309 SBC VME PCB that I'm just about finished building.
I'm waiting on some 32-pin sockets I'm going to use to raise the U54 29F040
512KB Flash Memory chip's socket so I can install a 32-pin ZIF socket to be
able to run various test assembler programs while I check out this new PCB
build.
Once I'm convinced that the PCB is fully functional, I plan on running the
SWTPC NitrOS-9 6809/6309 L1 version on it to see if it runs successfully.  I
will of course need to figure out how to put the NitrOS-9 dsk images on an
SD card.  Someone on the N8VEM email list has already done that with Flex9
which runs successfully on this new PCB, so I'll be interested to see how he
did it.
Once SWTPC NitrOS-9 6809/6309 L1 is running, I'll need to change the source
code in L2 which controls the operation of the MMU or have someone change
that source code for me to enable the MMU software to use 4KB blocks in the
SWTPC L2 version instead of the 8KB blocks the Coco 3 version uses.  Do you
or anyone have any thoughts on what changes in which modules will need to be
made to accomplish this in such a way that the changes are transparent to
the normal operation of NitrOS-9 6809/6309 L2 on a SWTPC compatible machine?
Any help with this major update to the SWTPC version of NitrOS-9 6809/6309
L2 will be much appreciated.  Thank you all in advance.  Take care my
friends.
Kip