[Coco] Drive controller problem

Bill cwgordon at carolina.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 18:33:38 EDT 2014

On Behalf Of Arthur Flexser
>>Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 5:59 PM
>>To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
>>Subject: Re: [Coco] Drive controller problem

>>That is indeed very confusing:  If I understand you correctly, everything
works
>>okay with the HDBDOS ROM, which means the controller is okay.  And the
Disk Basic
>>startup message (followed by an OK prompt and a blinking cursor, right?)
comes up
>>okay, which almost certainly rules out a problem with the Disk Basic ROM.

Yes, the cursor is correct.

>>Can you describe exactly what happens when you attempt a disk operation?
>>Does the drive light come on?  Is an ?IO ERROR message what you're seeing
>>on attempted reads and writes?

The drive light comes on as soon as I plug in the drive cable (before any
command is typed)

>>Are you using the correct Disk Basic syntax, and not some command that is
only
>>legal under HDBDOS?  (In which case, you'd be getting a ?SN ERROR, not the
?IO ERROR.)

Yea, when I do type in a command (DIR) the drive searches, but ends up
giving me an IO? ERROR

>>What happens when you try to DSKINI a disk?  Do you hear the head
returning to
>>Track 0 after the initial pass to begin the verify pass, and then see an
>>immediate ?IO ERROR when it fails to verify Track 0?

It spins the drive, but ends up with an IO? ERROR

>>Again, I recommend cleaning the edge connector contacts, since
>>oxidation there can cause many head-scratching intermittent problems.

I have worn out 3 wooden pencil erasers cleaning the contacts. The problem
is DEFINITELY NOT that.