[Coco] Drive controller problem

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Apr 3 17:59:00 EDT 2014

That is indeed very confusing:  If I understand you correctly, everything
works okay with the HDBDOS ROM, which means the controller is okay.  And
the Disk Basic startup message (followed by an OK prompt and a blinking
cursor, right?) comes up okay, which almost certainly rules out a problem
with the Disk Basic ROM.

Can you describe exactly what happens when you attempt a disk operation?
Does the drive light come on?  Is an ?IO ERROR message what you're seeing
on attempted reads and writes?

Are you using the correct Disk Basic syntax, and not some command that is
only legal under HDBDOS?  (In which case, you'd be getting a ?SN ERROR, not
the ?IO ERROR.)

What happens when you try to DSKINI a disk?  Do you hear the head returning
to Track 0 after the initial pass to begin the verify pass, and then see an
immediate ?IO ERROR when it fails to verify Track 0?

Again, I recommend cleaning the edge connector contacts, since oxidation
there can cause many head-scratching intermittent problems.

Art