[Coco] Good games for wico trackball

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Tue Apr 1 01:07:17 EDT 2014

Last night I tested the trackball with a bunch of different games.  It works
as Torsten described: a controller in the box processes the movement signals
and presents a voltage to the coco which is proportional to the "position" of
the ball.  When you power it up, it's close to the middle of the range (31).

This is actually unfortunate, because I think it would be nicer if it gave a
voltage proportional to the velocity of the ball instead.  Hitting a 'wall' on
a trackball is lame.  Giving a velocity output would work well for Marble Maze
and any game that was specifically written to work with a true trackball.  It
wouldn't work for games like polaris or arkanoid or colorpede which were
written to work with a joystick, but you can actually play those games better
on a joystick anyway, with it's ability for quick movement.

As it is, the trackball did play pretty well on Colorpede, Kingpede, and Polaris.

Richard