[Coco] Blank PCB for EPROM-Based Cartridge

Greg Law glaw at live.com
Fri Sep 27 19:56:19 EDT 2013

From: billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:42 AM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] Blank PCB for EPROM-Based Cartridge

> I was hoping to do that with a number of the old carts I have
> but attempts to remove the old chip usually results in some
> of the lans lifting making the card unusable.  I suspect they
> were made as cheaply as possible and there was never any thought
> to re-purposing of them in the future.  :-) or in my case :-(

If the traces are melting, you're using too much heat and/or the soldering
iron is taking too long to heat the tip. These are common problems with
inexpensive pencil irons. Basically what happens is that the tip is
initially heated to 750 degrees or so. When you touch the tip to a joint,
the temperature of the tip drops significantly and it takes time to get the
tip back to sufficient temperature to melt the solder. With fragile traces
(specially those on densely-populated multilayer boards and cheap cards),
the standard 750 degree soldering iron is way too hot and takes too long to
melt the solder.

If you can afford it and think it might be worth the investment, you might
consider investing in a temperature-controlled solder station with variable
temperature and either a standard or a miniature pencil. The tips in these
soldering stations have a temperature sensor so the control unit can better
keep the tip at a constant temperature, even under load. The best part is
that you can drop the temperature back to say 600 to 650 degrees when
soldering or desoldering standard components. I personally prefer the
smaller (miniature and/or micro) pencils, but this is a personal choice.