[Coco] [Color Computer] Got my Coco out of mothballs...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Sep 26 14:01:32 EDT 2013

On Thursday 26 September 2013 12:53:16 Al Hartman did opine:

> Why is it nobody understands what I want to do?
>
> I want to take a file, such as the Drivewire ROM image, that exists on
> the PC as a file, and get that file over to the Coco.
>
> I'd like a Windows based program like Explorer that will let you have a
> two window display, one side being the PC, and the other being a Coco
> .dsk image. Then, you can copy files back and forth, make a new Coco
> .dsk image, delete files on either side, rename files on either side,
> copy or move files from one side to the other.
>
> Everything I've found is either confusing, or DOS only.
>
> I can already write Coco disks on my Coco. I don't have 5.25" drives on
> any of my PCs, except my XT which is not on my network, and without
> 640k, I can't Laplink stuff to it.
>
> There are no USB solutions for writing 5.25" disks on a modern PC.
>
> Not all modern PCs even support having a 5.25" drive internally.
>
> All I want is to be able to move files into and out of Coco .dsk images
> easily.
>
> Is that so much to ask for?
>
> -[ Al ]-

The coco, running stock, or nitros9, does not have the concept of a move,
only copy then delete. On the coco, I have worked on that some, but never
felt it was vetted enough to expose it to new users, os9 only of course.
Like the linux version of such a utility, if the mv is on the same file
system, just move the directory entry to where you want the file to be
visible, but if not on the same filesystem (different disk) then do a copy
instead, and if the copy then compares, then do the source deletion.

The toolshed stuff syntax is a little arcane but the job is 100% doable
from the command line by the host pc.  But because the syntax is a bit
arcane, (it should yell at the idiot between the keyboard and the chair if
the comma is missing) it would be well appreciated by folks who are stuck
on the gui idea, if a 2 pain file manager was to become part of the default
build in toolshed.  Its grown some with version 2.0, but I've not run
across such a utility yet.

But it would indeed be handier than the turn button on the outhouse door if
it was to grow one.  Hint hint.

I also tend to agree with those who don't want to run all over the planet,
and who often don't have the build tools installed to even do step 1, which
is to obtain & build/install lwtools.  Then, get, build & install toolshed,
followed by nitros9 if thats your bent.  For those of you running a linux
system, and really, if you are at all familiar with os9/nitros9, the closed
shop of windows and mac's is a world you you _can_ get used to, but I've
never found it a comfortable place to live.  So if you're running a linux
that uses apt for a package manager, then "apt-get install build-
essentials" will install everything you need to run my script to get and
built it all.  2 command lines to type and run.

In the broadcast business today, we have to move programs as digital files
of multi-gigabyte size, occasionally modifying the file on the fly to make
it work on the server that actually plays it to air.  Because of this
compatibility requirement, we spent $18,000 on a software accessory package
that linked into the program scheduler that claimed it could do it all on
the fly.  Turned out it couldn't do it all, not even without the fly & they
couldn't seem to understand that it couldn't, never acknowledged receipt of
a few megabytes of the front of the file we sent them as samples of
something it couldn't handle.  It took Jim about a day to cobble up some of
our excellent linux utils into a few lines of bash script that did do it.
Then about 2 days to make it work from the program scheduler machine, a
windows machine to automate it for on demand.

What you can do with your windows machine is controlled by microsoft, what
you can do on your mac is controlled by apple, but what you can do on a
linux machine is usually controlled by your imagination.

So whose machine is it?  Yours, or theirs?

If I come across as a bit "crotchety", I am sitting here, in low grade
pain, crutches handy because I tore something in my left knee Tuesday
trying to get back up off a creeper I had used to explore the bottom of my
GMC & find a wrench I had dropped while re-installing the alternator.  The
knee is one that I've dislocated and relocated hundreds of times in the
last 50 years, it should have been used to it by now.

Getting old is not for wimps, but my wimp status doesn't seem to matter as
I seem to be doing it anyway. Darn it. :(