[Coco] .DSK Partition extract/inject tool?

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Wed Sep 25 16:15:45 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

From: "Robert Gault"

> nickma at optusnet.com.au wrote:
>> What I would like to see is...
>>
>> A version of the RS-DOS ROM that supports 4 x 40 track floppy drives
>> by default (like HDBDOS) but allow an option to set the drive option
>> to 80 track single/double sided. The setting for this can be obtained
>> from the drivewire server.
>>

>> Now I'm really dreamin'!
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Nick,
>
> I wrote my own enhanced RSDOS years ago which does some of what you want.
> When you turn on the Coco3, you get a message asking if you want a
> (S)tandard or (E)nhanced system (selectable with E or S).

> Robert

Many long years ago I set the startup file in RGB-DOS with such options.
One enhanced mode activated line 25 in the 80 column mode and other "little"
tweaks.  One other option in the menu was shifting the offset for second set
of 256 "disks."  That essentially rebooted the system, loading a .bin file
with the optional offset from disk into the ROM area.  However, I pretty
much gave up on 40 track 5.25" disks as I trashed too many of them in the 35
track systems and RGB-DOS did not support them.  OS-9 was another animal and
I loved having all of Kings Quest III on one 80 track 720k 3.5" disk.

Bruce W.