[Coco] .DSK Partition extract/inject tool?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Sep 25 10:25:11 EDT 2013

nickma at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> What I would like to see is...
>
> A version of the RS-DOS ROM that supports 4 x 40 track floppy drives
> by default (like HDBDOS) but allow an option to set the drive option
> to 80 track single/double sided. The setting for this can be obtained
> from the drivewire server.
>
> Also, a VHD "hard drive" support with predetermined settings so that
> the end user doesn't have to play with the partitioning and sector
> locations, just choose from a few preset defaults.
>
> This can also be set from the drivewire server side. Rom space if
> needed could be obtained by dumping the 6K "3 mugsters" image taking
> up space in the ROM.
>
> Better still, a new version of RS-DOS which includes a GUI environment
> and commands for using windows within BASIC.
>
> Or a version of Nitros9 that boots from ROM and includes a new and
> much enhanced (and usable) Multi-Vue.
>
> Now I'm really dreamin'!
>
> Nick

Nick,

I wrote my own enhanced RSDOS years ago which does some of what you want. When
you turn on the Coco3, you get a message asking if you want a (S)tandard or
(E)nhanced system (selectable with E or S).
The enhanced system uses an 80 column screen as the default mode. There are two
new commands. 1) DRIVE brings up a menu permitting single/double and 35/40
tracks. You are told what the current status is. 2) There is a new BACKUP
command which asks whether there are 35 or 40 tracks, whether the disk is OS-9
or not, and which drive number should be used. The backup is in memory (512K
required) and as many copies as needed can be made. Even some copy protected
disks will backup.
The ROM is a 16K unit and the disk controller must accommodate that.

Robert