[Coco] Drivewire on Windows Vista?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 16:12:02 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Christopher Smith <csmith at wolfram.com> wrote:
> Right, I'm thinking you'd basically have to fake the disk table of contents -- or whatever the thing is called on a CoCo disk -- and understand what data it wanted when it made requests for certain sectors.

ignoring problems like the files changing on the PC side after we've
made up a FAT, it is still more complicated than that.

Where is the info like the "file type" byte and the ascii/binary flag
coming from.. we just guess when we make a FAT?  Use underlying FS
attributes somehow?  Remember that DW runs on several different OSes
with even more filesystems beneath them.  What about case
sensitivity... a Linux system can have files called Run.BAS and
run.bas and RUN.BAS in the same directory... who wins?

Writes are especially complex.. When a file grows, DECB chooses the
sector(s) to use itself.  We wouldn't know which file it was writing
to without parsing DECB's writes to the FAT and looking for which
cluster chain or whatever DECB calls it was modified, and I'm not even
sure this modification occurs prior to the sector being written.  So
we might have to defer writes, watch the FAT, and then send them to
the file.   On top of that, there is no requirement for the FAT to be
updated at all, you can do arbitrary sector based read/write in DECB.

I think for now we will stick with the existing capabilities, and
maybe make them easier to use/automated.