[Coco] So, how do I make Drivewire go?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 23:26:07 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Christopher Smith <csmith at wolfram.com> wrote:
> Well, I did have a chance to try this, but increasing the read wait didn't really seem to change things at all.  I'm beginning to wonder whether I have some kind of a connectivity problem.  I can start a terminal program on the host side and see things coming across, though I don't recognize them as being anything near ASCII.  Are they supposed to be readable in any sense?

No, data on the line will not generally be human readable.  The DW
opcodes are not.  Sector data may be.

> Here's a log of a pretty typical session from the DW server:
>
> Mon Sep 23 2013 22:02:20.444  WARN   DWProtocolHandler   dwproto-0-10        UNKNOWN OPCODE: 192 À
> Mon Sep 23 2013 22:02:26.573  WARN   DWProtocolHandler   dwproto-0-10        UNKNOWN OPCODE: 192 À
> Mon Sep 23 2013 22:02:26.575  WARN   DWProtocolHandler   dwproto-0-10        UNKNOWN OPCODE: 176 °
> Mon Sep 23 2013 22:02:33.454  WARN   DWProtocolHandler   dwproto-0-10        UNKNOWN OPCODE: 192 À
> Mon Sep 23 2013 22:02:41.294  WARN   DWProtocolHandler   dwproto-0-10        UNKNOWN OPCODE: 192 À

This means the bytes your DW server sees are not valid instructions.
That can be due to speed mismatch, and when the unknown opcode is
consistent a speed mismatch is pretty likely.  It could mean a broken
PIA or bad cable, but I would expect more random results or just
nothing in that case.  There is a small possibility that your serial
port on the PC is to blame, either just borked or has timeouts and
other settings that don't work well at low speeds.  Some USB adapters
come with settings that are suited to Mbps block operation and don't
work (or work very well) at low speeds with exchanges containing only
a few bytes.

You can have DW log every byte sent or received on the wire.  This
might be helpful.  To do so, set the logging level to "Debug" and
enable "LogDeviceBytes".  You will have to restart the server for this
option to take effect as it is shortcircuited at boot up for speed
purposes.
You might also want to add the option -logviewer to the java command.
This will open a separate log viewing tool that is much more powerful
than the simple list found in the main UI.