[Coco] An HDBDOS DW4 poll

David Ladd drencor at gamepixel.net
Mon Sep 23 22:15:00 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:

> In writing the tutorial on setting up and using drivewire, Ihave a
> question/poll for all hdbdos/dw users
> It's about setting the offset for partitions in HDBDOS
>
> When you are using hdbdos under DW do you...
>
> 1. Use RSDOS/OS9 partitioned VHDs with the offset poke directly into the
> hdbdos rom
>
> 2. Use RSDOS/OS9 partitioned VHDs with the offset set in th DW server's
> "Drive Parameters"
>
> 3. Use only single partition VHDs for RSDOS and OS9 with no offsets
>
> 4. Just use floppy disk images because you never can figure out the
> offsets for partitions or know nothing about them
>
> This info would be helpful.

I currently use a HDBDOS BECKER and HDBDOS DW3 CC3/CC2 ROM's set with a
standard 256 drive offset partition and NitrOS-9.

Then I switch between disk images based on project I am working on.

Then I have DW4 server setup for multiple instances. Instance 0 is setup
for a CoCo3 Serial configuration, Instance 1 setup for a Coco2 Serial
configuration, Instance 2 for IP VCC Becker Configuration, and my last
Instance 3 is setup for a IP Xroar Becker configuration.  Real CoCo2/CoCo3
serials and xroar/VCC Becker IP ROM's are all set to the same offsets in
the ROM images.

This gives me the options of having specific images ready for a CoCo2 and
CoCo3.  Plus having both a CoCo2 and CoCo3 hooked to a single server with
each system having their own serial ports. :D

DW4 Server is very flexible in the way Aaron has written it and I am glad
he has it setup for multiple instance support.