[Coco] An HDBDOS DW4 poll

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 23 21:21:37 EDT 2013

Honestly, I just became acquainted with DriveWire 4 so I'm still feeling my
way.  I did read the Wiki on the offsets and I'm "unsure" as to the method
it's actually using.  I know about offsets, and about calculating 'record'
offsets in a database file and such, what I haven't understood yet is how
using offsets can allow me to access 2 different .DSK images at the same
time (for copying back-and-forth) without issuing a HDBDOS DRIVE # command.
IF it's treating offsets above the physical end of the first .DSK file as
belonging to the second disk file, that that makes sense.  I just haven't
gotten that far to try it out yet.  Plus, DriveWire allows me to copy from a
virtual disk in the .DSK partition to my physical FD-502 drive, then back to
another virtual disk in a DIFFERENT partition (i.e. BACKUP command), it just
means a extra step and time.   I'm sure the scheme is simple once you
understand the mathematics of chaos that float on magnetic drive cylinders
between files.  (sarcasm)