[Coco] Glenside IDE PCB, Is it an 8 bit or 16 bit design

Christopher R. Hawks chawks at dls.net
Mon Sep 23 19:35:10 EDT 2013

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 19:06:33 -0400
"Kip Koon" <computerdoc at sc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian!
> I looked at the link below this paragraph which was in Chris Hawks'
> email showing the prototype that the Glenside IDE controller PCB was
> based on and I saw a comment that says the second prototype does not
> have a latch to read all 16 bits from the drive.  The first prototype
> in the first photo uses 10 IC chips but is has no comment about it
> being  a 16 bit deign.  The second prototype in the second photo uses
> only 6 IC chips which has the above comment., so I'm thinking the
> first prototype is a 16 bit design and can read all 16 bits from the
> drive.  Is my logic correct?  I counted the chips on the Glenside IDE
> PCB and it has 9 IC chips.  Does this mean it reads all 16 bits from
> the hard drive even though it is 1 IC chip short of the first
> design?  I do hope the Glenside IDE Controller is a 16 bit design.
> I'd like to know for sure.  Thank you in advance for any
> clarification you can give.
>
> http://www.hat3.net/Home/ide-interface/pictures
> Kip

	Kip, just to be clear.

	The bottom picture IS the Glenside IDE Board (the picture with
the title "Glenside IDE Board based on my design". And yes, it does use
16 bits (or it would NOT work with the "Super Driver".

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
--
The road to Paradise is through Intercourse.
		-- a reference to two Pennsylvania small towns