[Coco] Glenside IDE PCB, Is it an 8 bit or 16 bit design

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Mon Sep 23 19:06:33 EDT 2013

Hi Brian!
I looked at the link below this paragraph which was in Chris Hawks' email
showing the prototype that the Glenside IDE controller PCB was based on and
I saw a comment that says the second prototype does not have a latch to read
all 16 bits from the drive.  The first prototype in the first photo uses 10
IC chips but is has no comment about it being  a 16 bit deign.  The second
prototype in the second photo uses only 6 IC chips which has the above
comment., so I'm thinking the first prototype is a 16 bit design and can
read all 16 bits from the drive.  Is my logic correct?  I counted the chips
on the Glenside IDE PCB and it has 9 IC chips.  Does this mean it reads all
16 bits from the hard drive even though it is 1 IC chip short of the first
design?  I do hope the Glenside IDE Controller is a 16 bit design.  I'd like
to know for sure.  Thank you in advance for any clarification you can give.

http://www.hat3.net/Home/ide-interface/pictures
Kip