[Coco] newb: Can I use DriveWire with my CoCo 2?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 00:19:32 EDT 2013

On Sep 22, 2013 12:05 AM, "Chad H" <chadbh74 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmmm...interesting tidbits there.  So there DOES exists enhanced DW4 ROMs
> out there for DriveWire 4?  These ROMS are required for the increased data
> throughput speeds, but the DW3 ROM's will still operate at their previous
> speeds, is that right?  If so, this does clear up some issues, but raises
> another for me...where do I get one of these new DriveWere 4 ROM's LOL.

Yes, speed is the only difference between dw3 ROMs and the new ones and
either work fine with dw4 server.

As for where to get them... I didn't include a link there for 2 reasons..
One being that the stock dw3 ROMs are a much better place to get started
(they are widely used and tested, 115k works on almost any PC serial port
whilst 230k does not, etc)
The other reason is that I don't know where I would link to.. I think these
high speed ROMs are now part of nitros9? Honestly not sure.

> Also, I seem to vaguely recall posts a while back concerning a
modification
> to the cables that would be needed to achieve the extra speeds..something
> like using a 4th pin/wire in addition to the 3 standard ones.  Is this
true?
> I saw the DriveWire cables page on SourceForge Wiki, but it just says "
This
> is where info about making or buying cables would go."

I stand by that statement :)

If anybody wants to improve this or any other part of the wiki... Please,
please do.

On

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/drivewireserver/index.php?title=Clien