[Coco] DW4 Turbo 230kb mode was : Eureka!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Sep 20 14:59:55 EDT 2013

Well said Chris. You are right. It is a programmer's OS but with a twist. The programmer has the option to write good software that's plug-n-play so the non-programming public doesn't have to do a ton of setup work just to run a program.

A good example is the Radio Shack line of games for OS9. Infocom, Sierra, etc. I enjoyed just sliding the King's Quest III disk in, typing DOS and playing the game. If you had a Coco 3 and a disk drive, you were in. It couldn't have been easier.

These days with the advent of things like DriveWire, it's almost mandatory to run a virtual HD system. This I don't mind at all, it's just the actual setup to get a good stable DW VHD system going that it take a little while to grasp the whole concept. Again, it all comes down to making new OS9Boot files. There's no way around it even with the versatility of the current repo offerings, there's no "complete" systems.
 In DriveWire, the optimum setup disk would actually be a VHD with all commands, games, software, utilities, system files and a complet copy of the built repo modules for building new boot files.
All programs would be setup properly, ready to run from the startup.
This would be a VHD you could stick in DW slot 0, type DOS in HDBDOS and it "just works". From there, if you need a few "custom" drivers for your hardware, an Automated Boot Creation utility (easy as ABC?) could be run which with a few mouse clicks, would create your new boot on that same VHD, reboot and you've got a custom system.
This is the kind of software I am currently trying to develope. Along with this utility comes a GUI that will also host other "swapable" modules that will make life with OS9 much easier for those who fear the cmd line, just point and click to run anything. This GUI can be run from the startup therefore completely avoiding the cmd line. I have so far, about 8 modules in design and some nearly finished that automates the very things that people hate about OS9. I have about 8 or 9 more in planning. Right now it's all waiting on the GUI to get finished and that's where the most thought is going. On how to make it all easy.

And if OS9 wasn't a programmer's OS, I guess it would have been much harder to even think of doing this any other way. The built in power of OS9's system calls were way ahead of their time.
So no, it's not a myth that OS9's a programmer's language, it was a myth that the software would come out to make it more than that. Too many programmers writing too many utilities to make programming easier so they could write more utilities.

It's long past the time for us to write real software, not utilities to write software... that never gets written :-)

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com