[Coco] RS232 Pak needed

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 20 08:18:27 EDT 2013

On Friday 20 September 2013 08:09:51 Louis Ciotti did opine:

> Wouldn't it be better to just implement a 6551 in a CPLD or FPGA,
> keeping it backward compatible with older software, and maybe
> implementing improvements/other options accessible via the control
> register.

I don't think that is an advantage, Louis.  The 6551, with its broken
hardware flow controls, is a very poor chip to emulate because its a broken
chip.  Throw in the cost of joining the "club" and buying a development
board just to play on would be an upfront cost that would put the kibosh on
even getting started.