[Coco] RS232 Pak needed

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 20 08:08:23 EDT 2013

On Friday 20 September 2013 07:39:45 Steve Bjork did opine:

> Picaxe are great for a quick and dirty test or small production of
> something.  But making a project with orders of 50 or more, I would use
> a pic or some other micro-controller with a lower cost than the Picaxe's
> $3.50.  (more like $0.75 each)
>
> My first step is take a look at what you are trying to interface into
> the CoCo.  If we are looking at just older RS-232 device then making a
> replacement for the old RS-232 Pak is the direction we should go.  The
> cost of goods to build this type of board would run under $7.50.   The
> "hard" part of doing this project is writing the code to make the Pic
> chip think that its a 6551.  One option that we could add would be a
> large I/O buffer with full hardware handshaking.  That could speed up
> the I/O.
>
> Steve

By 10x or so easily.  The current speed limit, using rzsz in nitros9,
running on a 6309 is just about 625 cps. That is because the hardware flow
controls in our current sacia based driver do not work. That guarantees
good data, but a better protocol thats 10x faster because the hardware is
better shouldn't be that hard to write. So the next question is to the list
in general.

Assuming we do a 2 port version, and we could offer it for $60 by the time
we get gold flashed boards, find out who made the cases Roger used, get
some of those & modify that one for a pair of db9's, how many of you folks
would buy it in the next year?