[Coco] MPIs & Cartridges With Solder/Tin Contacts Can Now Be fixed With A Gold Contact Plug Upgrade!

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Mon Sep 16 11:52:22 EDT 2013

I beg to differ. If you read his columns over time, and see how he has
solved tech problems for himself and friend, and that his son Alex I a
computer professional...

I take his advice VERY seriously. He helped me out of a rough spot a few
years ago.

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/

I mis-remembered the name, it's called Stabilant 22a. Here's a quote from a
review from PC Magazine.

"A small company named D.W. Electrochemicals (905-508-7500) fax
(905-508-7502) has developed a remarkable liquid called Stabilant 22 that
allows even dirty contacts to perform properly. Stabilant 22 is an organic
compound that allows electricity to flow where it should, not where it
shouldn't. For instance, within your computer, Stabilant enables signals to
travel from one contact surface to another, but not between adjacent pins on
a chip.

Stabilant is a great conductor.

How does Stabilant pull off this trick? The explanation's a bit technical
but for the hard-core techies and terminally curious, here goes:

Normally, Stabilant is an insulator. But in the presence of a large
electric-field-gradient, it becomes an excellent conductor. An electric
field gradient is the "slope" of an electric field. It indicates to what
degree voltage change over distance (voltage difference between two
surfaces, divided by the distance between surfaces). Within your computer,
distance between a pin and a socket is so small that the gradient very large
(on the order of thousands of volts per inch), causing the liquid to become
a conductor. But the distance between adjacent contacts is great enough to
keep the gradient low (on the order of tens volts per inch)-well below the
level Stabilant needs to make t transition from insulator to conductor.

The diluted form of Stabilant 22, called Stabilant 22A, is best for most
computer uses. Apply a drop to the pins of a chip while t is still in its
socket, and the liquid will penetrate the contacts. 0 an eyedropper or swab
to apply Stabilant to contacts inside edge card sockets, cables, and drive
power and cable connectors. You need only a single drop, just enough to
cover the contact surfaces to a depth of 1 or 2 mills, (about 4 to 8
hundredths of an inch)."

http://stabilant.com/revrw15h.htm

Amazon.com carries it.

- Al -