[Coco] Links For Gold Connector for MPIs & Cartridges

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Sep 16 11:03:03 EDT 2013

On Monday 16 September 2013 10:49:32 Kip Koon did opine:

> Hi Guys!
>
> As promised here are links for several pictures of the connector by
> itself and installed on a Tandy Color Computer Disk Drive Controller
> FD-500:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4ip8pzbu4pgyup/Pic_0916_195.jpg
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/a87re2ewhi34q2c/Pic_0916_196.jpg
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfpdg32397cuh17/Pic_0916_197.jpg
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8al20k95zfyka5m/Pic_0916_198.jpg
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/28nwxgl5plviuh6/Pic_0916_199.jpg
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ym1fun5bir72uw/Pic_0916_200.jpg
>
> The first 4 pictures are various views of the connector installed on the
> FD-500 controller and the last 2 pictures are of the connector by
> itself.  I tried to get a good close up of the connector from two
> different angles, but they are fuzzy, one more than the other.  I hope
> you can basically tell what I’m trying to illustrate here.  It sticks
> out about ¼” to 3/8” of an inch further, but considering how far the
> cartridges insert into the Coco slot and the MPI slots, it should be
> OK.  When I get it soldered, I’ll let you guys know the results.  Yes,
> reliability problems will hopefully become a thing of the past!  Take
> care my friends.
>
> Kip

Looks like its workable Kip, but on that controller, the board should be
extended on the sides in order to engage the grounding ears.  Soldering
another small piece of double sided pcb material to the now grey areas
beside the connector pattern, extending it out to engage the clips beside
the coco's connector (or the MPI's as the case may be) using a strip of
copper pcb tape to do the bridging.  Otherwise there is only one ground
connection to the controller through the 40 pinner, and that is not enough
to result in dead reliable data throughput, as anyone who has ever tried to
use a Y connector knows well).  Then, just to enhance the connection,
Creswell sells a silver plating kit that could do a hundred or more plating
jobs.  Tarnished silver is still a decent connection.  Many times better
than the lead oxide on those ears now.