[Coco] Trying to find SuperDriver and HDB-DOS

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 04:31:32 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> For my own convenience at keeping all 3 of those related packages up to
> date, this linux script might serve as a model for something similar if you
> are running windoze.
> -------------------------------
> #!/bin/bash
> # since I'm always forgetting to sudo...
> if [ `whoami` != 'root' ]; then
>         echo
>         echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
>         echo "this script needs to be run by root"
>         echo
>         echo
>         exit 1
> fi
> mv lwtools lwtools-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
> hg clone http://lwtools.projects.l-w.ca/hg/ lwtools
> cd lwtools
> make
> make install
> cd ..
> echo
> echo
> echo "lwtools has been built, next is toolshed"
> echo
> echo
> chown -R gene:www-data lwtools # make visible to the web
> mv toolshed toolshed-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
> hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/toolshed/code toolshed
> cd toolshed
> make -C build/unix install
> cd ..
> chown -R gene:www-data toolshed # make visible to the web
> echo
> echo
> echo "toolshed has been built and installed, next is nitros9"
> echo
> echo
> mv nitros9 nitros9-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
> hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9
> cd nitros9
> hg update lwtools-port # this step is temporarily needed
> export NITROS9DIR=$PWD
> mkdir dsks # this step is temporarily needed
> make dsk
> make dskcopy
> cd ..
> chown -R gene:www-data nitros9
> echo
> echo
> echo "this completes the build of lwtools, toolshed, and nitros9"
> ---------------------------------
> If you are using linux, save whats between the long dashed lines as
> getnitros9, then do as root, a "chmod +x /path/to/getnitros9" and then
> execute it, as root.

The superuser police called and said that you should do as little as
possible as root, in particular not run other people's scripts.
Everything like downloading, building etc is a normal user task and
should be run as a normal user. Only if you need to install something
in a system directory you will need superuser powers, typically "sudo
make install". Otherwise you will spiral down in a "Windows
Administative rights"-like dependency hell and pull out all your gray
hairs before you eventually have to reinstall to recover. Look up the
script author's older post for examples ;)

Then the bandwidth police called with tears in their eyes and told
people to not "hg clone" every day. If you already have done a "hg
clone" (which downloads 30-40 MB every f. time), you should use "hg
pull" which only downloads the new changes if there are any.

Tormod