[Coco] lwtools on Windows

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 15 02:42:02 EDT 2013

On Sunday 15 September 2013 02:25:57 William Astle did opine:

> On 2013-09-14 23:56, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > But your use of what I have, which is now about 3 months old, for
> > lwtools in particular, will need an assembler or compiler that runs
> > on windows. Since M$hit doesn't think the user has any business
> > building his own, I have no clue what choices you have to
> > successfully build it on windows. The 00README.txt file does not
> > mention windows, and a quick inspection of the Makefile indicates its
> > written in more or less pure *nix language.
> >
> > Perhaps MinGW can build it?
>
> For the record, the official distribution point for lwtools is
> http://lwtools.projects.l-w.ca/.

So noted William, and my site, when its working, is intended only to be a
built mirror.  I can remove that link if its impeding your work of course.

> lwtools is known to build under mingw and I have reports of it working
> under cygwin. However, I don't officially support Windows so building
> under mingw and cygwin do not get tested regularly. Since I don't have a
> Windows system to build on, I don't provide Windows binaries either. I
> used to build binaries with a cross-compiler (mingw as it happens) but
> that proved to be a lot less stable than one would hope.
>
> If someone wants to apply to be the official "lwtools on windows" guy
> and make sure it builds and/or provide windows binaries, ping me off
> list and we can discuss it.

In the meantime, if Brian wants the latest, he maybe should go curb
shopping, find a functioning old box with enough ram and a couple gigs of
drive space left over after installing some light resource linux like
xubuntu, then "sudo apt-get install build-essentials" and run my script I
posted as a reply to Brian. Depending on the box's speed about 20 minutes
later he has the whole thing, all built & ready to rock & roll.  Whats not
to like?

Then he could "sudo apt-get install java", pull in the latest drivewire,
and let it be the drivewire server for the coco.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.
		-- R. Geis
         law-abiding citizens.