[Coco] FD-501 w/ 3 1/2" added

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Thu Sep 12 16:14:11 EDT 2013

I had quite a few issues with this, eventually got it working. Since
drives generally don't have jumpers, install as drive 1. When I opened
my floppy drive case (which had one half height drive and space for one
more) I found that the ribbon cable in use did in fact have two
card-edge style connectors on it. So one was free. I bought a floppy
drive, and a little adapter to plug onto the pins of the drive that
converted its connector to male card edge to match the cable I had. I
plugged it in and it wouldn't work.

...and I never got it working right until I started going through my
collection for older 3.5" drives. I found about 5 to try, I went through
them one at a time in the same setup and eventually found one that works
perfectly. Something about new drives (like you'd buy off newegg today
for $20 or so) is just incompatible with coco. Probably newer drives no
longer properly support 720k because hey, who uses that? We do!

-RobertH