[Coco] Laser Cut Cartridge Case (was Re: miniFLASH product)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Sep 11 21:05:14 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 11 September 2013 20:35:10 James Hrubik did opine:

> Sort of along the lines of what I was thinking.
>
> Just measured a Downland cartridge : outside 3 x 4-1/16 x 7/8 (76 x
> 108 x 22 mm).  Slot for board is 2-3/16 wide (55 mm).  Board is 1/16
> thick.  Depending on your mount position and independent of the
> thickness of the case, top of board is mounted 5/8 (16 mm) from
> outside top of case and bottom is 3/16 (5 mm) from outside bottom of
> case.
>
> 1/8" Lexan would require a 1/16 spacer between the board and the
> bottom; too close, maybe.  Mounted from the top of case like the
> Downland board, would require a 1/2" (12.5 mm) standoff with 1/8"
> Lexan.  Side strips could be 5/8" wide, and with a little glue, you
> could have a totally enclosed clear plastic case for cheap.
>
> I probably have enough old scrap storm windows to make several dozen,
> but it would cost a minor fortune to obtain the necessary round tuit.
>
> Now there is a wild idea : has anyone repacked a CoCo in a clear
> glass case?  Gene -- have you ever welded glass?

Sorry, no. My experimentation with hot glass has not been "fruitful".  Lots
of ferrous stuff, a small amount of aluminum, but alu really s/b done with
a TIG, whereas my highest tech kit is MIG, and the commonly used gas for
the MIG is a mix of argon, used for the flooding/shielding gas, mixed with
CO2 to add a bit of carbon to the weld, enhancing its strength at the
expense of a poorer appearance when done by wannabe MIG welders like me.
Somehow, my work seems to hold up about as well as it did when I was using
the oxy-acetylene to weld with though, no clue why.  The difference in
puddle control you get with real gas has to be seen to be believed.  With
gas, I can take a pile of cheap coat hangers and give you a weld that is
extremely ductile, or is nearly rockwell 60.  All in how fat or lean the
flame is and how you push the puddle around to ensure the proper amount of
carbon is either mixed into the weld, or burned back out of the molten
metal.

I have a next door neighbor, and in fact could probably round up 50 people
here in Weston who could 'weld' that glass as there were and are yet, lots
of specialty blown glass done in the former home town of Louie Glass.  When
that was closed down due to Chinese imports taking all the business at 25%
of the price, lots of the better blowers built their own glass "tanks" and
are still doing custom stuff.  But these guys don't normally blow into a
mold, its all free-hand, occasionally rolled on a flat surface to become
more cylindrical.

One thing all you repackers tend to skip, is that the coco, running naked,
is one ultra noisy machine, generating huge amounts of RFI at the harmonics
of its crystal.  So any such repacking really needs to have the insides of
the case coated with a carbon/metallic film paint, connected solidly the
the ground rails of the PCB's.