[Coco] Laser Cut Cartridge Case (was Re: miniFLASH product)

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 20:29:37 EDT 2013

Sort of along the lines of what I was thinking.

Just measured a Downland cartridge : outside 3 x 4-1/16 x 7/8 (76 x
108 x 22 mm).  Slot for board is 2-3/16 wide (55 mm).  Board is 1/16
thick.  Depending on your mount position and independent of the
thickness of the case, top of board is mounted 5/8 (16 mm) from
outside top of case and bottom is 3/16 (5 mm) from outside bottom of
case.

1/8" Lexan would require a 1/16 spacer between the board and the
bottom; too close, maybe.  Mounted from the top of case like the
Downland board, would require a 1/2" (12.5 mm) standoff with 1/8"
Lexan.  Side strips could be 5/8" wide, and with a little glue, you
could have a totally enclosed clear plastic case for cheap.

I probably have enough old scrap storm windows to make several dozen,
but it would cost a minor fortune to obtain the necessary round tuit.

Now there is a wild idea : has anyone repacked a CoCo in a clear
glass case?  Gene -- have you ever welded glass?

On Sep 11, 2013, at 1:07 AM, Andrew wrote:

> What about this?:
>
> Rather then laser-cut a metal case and bend it, what if you
> (someone - not me, too many other projects, this is an idea for
> someone who knows what they are doing) created a DXF or some other
> CAD file (or even a PS/PDF) that could be sent to a laser cutter
> (or a company that laser cuts), and have the cutter cut out flat
> pieces of acrylic (1/8 inch would be ok).
>
> Have holes cut/drilled (by the laser cutter again) to mount a PCB
> with the edge connector, as well as holes for "standoffs" for the
> PCB and for connecting a "top" and a "bottom" plate.
>
> Sure, it'd be open with all the electronics exposed, but who really
> cares? It'd look all the more cooler, right? Add some LEDs to light
> it up!
>
> Include a PDF or such of a double-sided PCB (edge connector, and
> strip-board traces or something?) that can be printed and toner-
> transferred (or UV etched); maybe eagle-cad (or better, some open
> format - kicad or something?) for a PCB - something you could send
> off to a company to have printed.
>
> Dump it all into a ZIP file and stick it somewhere. If you need a
> cartridge, send the files to the appropriate places (send the laser-
> cutter files to one company, and the PCB files to another - or etch
> your own PCB).
>
> Such a case/PCB combo would be fairly cheap; only those that want
> it would need to grab and print it, and no one would be stuck
> trying to sell something not many people want or need.
>
> The only problem here is finding someone willing to make the files
> and test them out. If I had the time and/or skills, I'd do it
> myself. We all probably have all the measurements, cartridges (for
> examples), etc; hmm - can we crowd-source this in some manner?
>
> Just a thought I'm tossing out there...
>
> Andrew L. Ayers
> Glendale, Arizona
> http://www.phoenixgarage.org/

"Repent! the Kingdom of God has come near!"
###Gospel according to Jesus of Nazareth###
"Some offensive messages are always appropriate."
###Sayings of Grandpa Jim, (c) 2013###