[Coco] Regarding a cheap floppy emulator

Christopher Smith csmith at wolfram.com
Mon Sep 9 18:12:07 EDT 2013

Yes, I'm getting the idea that the cheaper emulators just don't do soft sectoring correctly at all. :)  It was a nice thought anyway.  The Lotharek emulator seems to be the way to go -- as I'd suspected before -- but of course it's 3x as much or more in cost, which is a bit high for me at the moment.  I suppose a real floppy drive will be the way to go for now.  That leaves me a few different options:

First, I guess I could slot an identical drive in, QD 5.25" all around, with maybe switches on them to select whether they actually operate as QD.  Next, I could probably throw in a 3.5" drive.  I don't have a 720k one for now, but I do have a 1.4M one that I'm not completely opposed to forcing into 720k mode permanently by obstructing the medium sense switch.  That might work, and this drive does have drive selection jumpers.  This could give me a set of two drives of identical capacity but with different disk types.  I guess I could also rig something up to swap drive 0 from one to the other, and I could leave the density selector switch on the 5.25" drive in order to read old disks. ... or I could slot in a real 360k drive.  Both drives would be 5.25" disks, but at different densities.  If I can pull something off to select which is drive 0 and which is drive 1, this will make a density selection switch for the QD drive unnecessary.  There's a certain elegance to that solution.

Am I missing any possibilities?  Anyone want to comment on the relative merits of the above options?

Chris