[Coco] OS9 Joystick/Mouse question

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sat Sep 7 14:49:50 EDT 2013

Bill,

No.

Have you every wonder why CoCo games ask if you using a Joystick or
Keyboard to play?  That's why.  (If they did not then they must have the
joystick plug in to play.)

The Joystick hardware in the CoCo can only gives a value from 0 to 63
based on the Position/Voltage.  There is not data that can be returned,
like an error state of no device plugged in.

Yes, there is a number returned when nothing is plugged in.  But, that
number is same as the Joystick in that same position.

My easy trick was to look for the Button pressed of the joystick the
player wanted to use and go from there.

Steve