[Coco] Reading/Writing Model I/III/4 Disks on a CoCo

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Sep 5 10:28:52 EDT 2013

Thanks for the hints, folks!

I'll purchase an LS-DOS diskette from some kind soul if all else fails, but I have this mental hangup that prevents me from doing anything the easy way. :)

Hmm, I will excavate my electronic strata to see if I can dig up old PC hardware with a floppy controller. Then I'll probably find myself starting a new project to get software and data onto that vintage heap, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

All but one of my CoCo drives can step out to track 41 (one of them only makes it to 39). If only I had my old J&M controller, which had a ROM with 40-track and 2-sided support. I was thinking during my drive home last evening: If the sector numbering, address marks, etc. are the same on the CoCo and model 4p, maybe DriveWire+Wired would happily write an LS-DOS disk, assuming that DW supports tracks past 35 and has some means to step the head out there on a CoCo with a standard RS-DOS ROM? Yeah, that's a big assumption, but I'll try it when I get a chance just for entertainment purposes. Even if that works, I think that initially formatting the disk would be a problem.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/