[Coco] PopStar Pilot - Another chapter added

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Thu Sep 5 09:40:59 EDT 2013

Bill,

Any game developer will use the best tools at hand.  When I started
writing game for the CoCo, the first programs I created the tools
needed.  I wrote Micro-Painter long before my first CoCo game, Popcorn.

But soon I was limited by the hardware systems of the CoCo and needed
better hardware.  First, the Amiga was setup for doing some graphics,
but mostly sound work.  The real help was IBM PC with the memory and
speed that I needed to create the graphics system for the more modern
games for the CoCo. From Character based screen maps to libraries of
object based sprites system, the PC had the storage and power to get the
just done.

Yes, I still used a CoCo to create the code using my own assembler.  (It
was using my hard drive OS system.)  But that was only 5K to 6K of a 32k
ROM pack.  If the code was any larger, there would have been a need to
use a PC to write the code.

If I was going to write a CoCo game today, I would use a PC from start
to end.  The 3-d graphics programs would help make the sprite object
look more real.  In Donkey Kong Country for the super NES (1994), they
use pre-rendered 3D graphics (a first) to improve the overall graphical
look.  Some 20 years later, this is more or less the standard for games
on graphics system without real time 3-D graphics system.

There are so many other reason why not to use the CoCo in creating the
graphics.  From Limit memory and color palette, it's just too hard to
use a CoCo for this type of work.  Why make more work for yourself when
there are better systems and tools out there?

Steve