[Coco] So, does anyone know where to get disk drives?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Sep 1 22:03:51 EDT 2013

On 08/28/2013 11:38 PM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) wrote:
> Take care of PC pulls of 5.25. They just don't work as the head selection
> pin is different. 3.5 works like a charm.
>

> ...[snip]

It all depends on the drive.  Most 5.25" drives I've come across do have
proper drive and head selection, but these features are ignored on the
PC and selection is done with a munged-up cable.  Many newer 3.5" high
density drives don't have drive selection switches or jumpers, but the
older ones did.  I've been using 1.44M drives with my CoCos for years
with 720K media, but I make sure to use ones that have proper drive
select switches.  The ones with no jumpers or switches are all set to be
'drive 1' so I guess one could use those on a CoCo as a second drive, or
do the awful cable hack.

JCE