[Coco] CoCo Cassette Relay (Remote)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Oct 19 21:03:21 EDT 2013

On Saturday 19 October 2013 20:47:48 Chad H did opine:

> I was testing the functions on a newly acquired CoCo 2 and everything
> seemed flawless until I got to testing the Cassette operations.  It
> does pass audio in/out but the Remote on/off (i.e. MOTOR ON/OFF etc)
> does not function.  I do hear the relay clicking and can see the
> contacts dip under the clear top of the relay.  I moved the cable back
> to another CoCo 2 and  everything's fine.  It's definitely in this new
> CoCo 2.  I suspect dirty contacts in the relay.  Is there a way to make
> sure?  If it is the relay, what kind can I replace it with?

Very little to no wonder at its age.  You could put in a fresh one of
course.

But I expect its very easily fixed too.  You may have to remove it in order
to gain access to get the cover off, which is probably a snap on variety
though.

Once the cover is off, find some clean newsprint, no ink, like from the
edge of the daily fish-wrap, and carefully cut some strips about 1/8" wide
& perhaps an inch & a half long.  Put one strip between the open contacts,
press them closed gently, and pull the paper thru the contact until the end
of the paper is about to come thru, then release the contact so that no
fibers from the end or edges are torn off & stuck to the contact.
It will likely be fairly well blackened as it removes the decades of
oxidation from the contact.  Repeat once more with that strip, then replace
it with a fresh one and check for the mark again.  Repeat until you are not
putting any more dark marks on the paper.

That relay is IIRC a dpdt, but could be a spdt.  If dpdt, clean the other
contacts by the same method.  Using a decent air pressure, 40 or 60 psi,
blow through the contacts as you exercise them, then snap the cover back on
and re-install.  S/B good for another 20 years, at no cost unless you had
to go buy the newspaper & scissors.