[Coco] Nitros9 boot fails with HDB DOS in rompak

nickma at optusnet.com.au nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 10 21:34:35 EDT 2013

Have you checked your 512K RAM?

I remember in the 80's when I first got my CoCo3, I made a 512K RAM
upgrade by replacing the 4 x 4464 chips (128K) for 4 x 44256 (512K)...
directly in the socket (can't recall but I may have had to shift some
chip legs).

This worked perfectly for me and for several years, I had not had a
problem with any program... until I tried booting OS-9 for the first
time.

Unreliable booting, often crashed etc.

I then built a new 512K upgrade from 2 x 256Mb 8bit SIMM modules from
a PC. Worked perfectly and OS-9 booted fine.

I still have that same 512K RAM upgrade in my dev CoCo3 and has never
missed a beat.

Nick