[Coco] Nitros9 boot fails with HDB DOS in rompak

chawks at dls.net chawks at dls.net
Thu Oct 10 09:24:55 EDT 2013

On Thu 10/10/13  8:01 AM , Charlie Pelosi chaspelosi at outlook.com sent:
> Thanks for the reply.
> You can use your HDB-DOS rompak (no MPI) and boot The King's Quest 1 disk
> image? (Any Nitros9 image really)
> Mine seems to work fine too, until I try to boot a Nitros9 image.
>
> 27C64 is what I am using. Typing tutor is an older rompak? The ones I'm
> using are coco 3 specific. All the older rompaks I open have a black blob
> on the PCB and not a 28 pin chip. I'm not sure of any other roms paks besides
> the later ones that have a 28 pin chip.

    That's a good trick! The only ROMs I've seen in an official Tandy/RS ROMPAK
are _24_ pin!
(and so are ALL the disk controllers) See the "Color Computer Technical Reference
Manual".
 Are you using an adapter or jumper wires (or a 24 pin 4k ROM)??

> [...]
> are that keep Nitros9 from booting.
> After the C on the boot screen, the screen should switch to the
> "Welcome to Nitros9...." screen but that never happens. Something about the rompak
> is preventing that from happening.

> From: "Retro Canada"  canada76 at gmail.com>Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:32 AM
> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts"  tedmedia.com>Cc: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts"  tedmedia.com>Subject: Re: [Coco] Nitros9 boot fails with HDB DOS in rompak
>
> > i do have a rompak with hdbdos and it works
> fine. it uses a 27C64 and was > the typing tutor.
> >
> > do you have an mpi? how do you put the fd502 and
> the rompak together ?>
> > you can replace the fd502 rom as well to
> hdbdos.>
> > using a mpi the fdc must be on the selected
> slot. so if you boot from > rompak slot you later either switch the button
> to the slot 4 or perform a > poke &hff7f,51
> >

> > On 2013-10-10, at 8:09 AM, Charlie Pelosi  losi at outlook.com> wrote:>
> > When I LOADM RSDOS games they are DSK images.
> DW4 has HDBDOS translation > enabled. (It turns that off automatically when
> the Nitros9 DSK images are > mounted).
> >
> > I found my cassette cable with my MC-10 so I'm
> going to try to cloadm the > HDBDW3CC3.WAV from my ipod after work
> today.> I am guessing this will work because everything
> points to the physical > rompaks.
> >
> > When I installed the sockets in the game rompaks
> (one was Football II the > other was Super Pitfall) I checked continuity
> from the socket to the card > edge for every pin.
> > I will recheck them again tonight, maybe I broke
> a solder joint or > something.
> >
> > I wonder if anyone has done the same and can
> confirm it working? Anyone > else use a game rompak PCB the same
> way?> Or are they using a different board in a rompak?
> Didn't cloud-9 used to > sell a HDB-DOS rompak? Was that as simple as
> this PCB?>
> > The game PCB is very simple. There are no parts
> to it. Just a board with > traces and one resistor (I think) next to the
> game rom.> I wonder if something on the PCB needs to be
> modified because the rompak > itself can only be whats causing
> it...> I shouldn't say that until I try to tape load
> HDB-DOS tonight. :)>
> > Still, three 512K coco3's, Rom, Drivewire,
> works with a FD502 disk > controller in place of the rompak. It only
> doesn't work when the rompak is > inserted.
> > Maybe the way the games pcb is "wired"
> maybe a trace or 2 needs to be > cut.... hoping someone knows...
> >

> --------------------------------------------------> From: "Bill Pierce"  pasooo at aol.com>> Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:58
> PM> To:  tedmedia.com>> Subject: Re: [Coco] Sierra games and
> DW>
> >>
> >> Charlie,
> >> When you run RSDOS games, do you load them
> from a dsk image indw or a vhd >> image in dw?
> >>
> >> Bill Pierce
> >> My Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color
The TRS-80 Color Computer
> Archive>> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/>> Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for
> CocoPedia>> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>> E-Mail: ooogala
> pasooo at aol.com>>

 il.com>>>> Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:01