[Coco] Sierra games and DW

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 22:01:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Charlie Pelosi <chaspelosi at outlook.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble emailing the list I think because my reply address for my Microsoft account is a different alias than the primary I have subscribed to the list...
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to play The King's Quest games with a coco3 and drivewire4.
>
> I downloaded KingsQuest1_dw.dsk from http://www.nitros9.org/latest/
> I have a rompak in a COCO3 that has HDB-DOS 1.4 DW3 COCO 3 (Ive tried 1.2 also)
> I am using the very latest DW4 in Windows.
>
> When I mount the KingsQuest1_dw.dsk in drive 0 and type DOS to start Nitros9 starts to boot.
> When it gets to i2xoC and then the coco just hangs sitting there forever doing nothing.
>
> Any ideas on what is wrong or how to get this to work?
>
> I tried to send the above earlier and it didn't work. But that worked out because in the meantime I discovered something.
>
> If I move the rom chip to an actual FD502 controller the boot gets past i2xoC and the game starts.
> So I would guess because Nitros9 is loading a driver or looking for the disk hardware.
> So is there a version that doesn't do that so that people loading from a simple rompak or even tape can boot these games with DW and enjoy them?

The version you have is not intended to require a disk controller.
Last time I played it, it worked here with just a CoCo 3 and DW3 rom
in a rompak, no additional hardware.  That was a while back, it is
possible some bug has been introduced.  However, Bill is not seeing a
problem currently.  I don't have things set up to test at the moment
but I think it is possible the need for a disk controller on your
system is a side effect of some other problem.  It is definitely not
by design.