[Coco] SuperIDE and VCC 1.43 beta - SUCCESS!

David Ladd drencor at gamepixel.net
Mon Oct 7 04:04:53 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) <
retrocanada76 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to inform I sucessfully run VCC in superIDE mode using my CF card
> image.
>
> First, you need the HDBDOSLBA13.ROM found here:
>

> https://sites.google.com/site/tandycocoloco/mess-superide/HDBLBA13.ROM?attredirects=0&d=1
>
> and of course a valid superIDE image, also found here:
>

> https://sites.google.com/site/tandycocoloco/mess-superide/superide_cf_323mb.zip.001?attredirects=0&d=1
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/tandycocoloco/mess-superide/superide_cf_323mb.zip.002?attredirects=0&d=1
>
> To config the superIDE, set the MPI.DLL, put the FD-502 on slot4 and
> SuperIDE on slot3. Also you must uncheck the "Clock at FF50" from FD-502
> config. After doing that and using the external disk basic rom it worked
> like a charm.
>
> Thanks,
>
> BTW: Don't you think the HDBDOSLBA13.ROM should be included on vcc distro
> as well  ?

Well the problem with including the ROM built into the DLL for using the
SuperIDE is that many people configure their HDBDOS and OS-9/NitrOS-9
builds slightly different.

Like I have a standard 256MB CF card that came with my real SuperIDE.  Well
that CF image and configuration differs from the image you have listed
here.  So I would still need to use a custom image anyway in the FD502.dll
config.

Also at the time Joseph originally made the SuperIDE.dll code HDBDOS was
not free.  You had to buy it for each system you were using.

Now it might be possible to include it now, but if such a thing was done it
would probably be best to use the default 256MB configuration that Mark
from Cloud9 setup for his purchased units.  Easier for people to image
their real CoCo3 256MB CF cards and then directly use them on VCC.  That
way there is some sense of common configuration.

Then for the non standard configuration a modified HDBDOSLBA ROM image
could be loaded via the external ROM option in the FD502.dll.  Then with
that custom ROM image you can access the custom CF image that you have
loaded in the SuperIDE.dll's configuration.

Though at this time it is probably best just to use the external ROM option
in the FD502.dll and load your custom HDBDOS ROM image.