[Coco] Somewhat OT: The life of a systems programmer

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 17:41:16 EST 2013

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013, Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:

> On 11/16/2013 09:02 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>
>> I got a chuckle out of that.  It's a bit reminiscent of the Unix Haters
>> Handbook by Jamie Zawinski.  That being said, C++ is really the only
>> answer for a lot of scientific and engineering problems.
>
> Sorry, Steve, I have to disagree.  Those problems are almost
> invariably better suited to being dealt with by C, or even FORTRAN.
> The range of problems where OOP features are necessary, or even useful
> is very very small.

Well, I guess we must disagree.  All the large projects I've been involved
with in the arena of VLSI verification (how I earn my living) involve
solid, OO design and would have been quite cruel and unusual to code in
ANSI C - not to mention unmaintainable by anyone other than the original
author.

But, everyone has their own perspective on this based on their personal
experience in their field.  Not worth arguing about :-).