[Coco] CGP-220 & CGP-115 hardware problems

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Nov 9 14:29:20 EST 2013

Hi, I have the following problems with CoCo printers. Any hints about
repair & troubleshooting are welcome.

CGP-220 :

   1. I'm trying to get the colour cartridge to work (the black is dead).
   Ink is able to get out from the cartridge when I touch the CMY holes,
   but the printer is unable to pump it. The rest of the behaviour of the
   printer seems normal, but I didn't try to plug the CoCo in it yet, I
   just would like the CMY bars to work first.

   2. The black cartridge suffered from « internal hæmorrhage » for unknown
   reasons long ago, while not using it (I think that it hadn't been used
   in years. Anyone knows why that would happen ?

CGP-115 :

   3. last time I had tried it, it would at least make the initial buzz
   (and freeze while doing it), but now there's no sign of life. I don't
   have the original power adaptor (I don't know why), and I don't remember
   what I had used the previous tries. Looking for a replacement, I used a
   voltmetre to find out that many adaptors have a measured voltage about
   40 % higher than advertised : for example, a 9VDC block outputs 13V.
   Smells like square root of 2, but I don't know why, nor what I'm
   supposed to plug into this device. I also realised don't even know the
   polarity of the device's plug, nor whether it's protected against wrong
   polarity (using a diode).