[Coco] Unusual problem

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Nov 1 17:56:15 EDT 2013

Bill,
I think I see your problem right off the bat.
While others are talking hardware and solder problems, no one seemed to notice you said you were trying to boot from a 40 trk disk image. From RSDOS (or hdbdos), a 40 trk image will not work. The boot track (track 34) is in the wrong place and rsdos will not find it as it is treating the disk image as  a 35 trk image.
I have tried and tried to get someone on the Nitros9 team to make the Nitros9 images in a 35 trk disk image as well as the other sizes/formats. This would solve many, many problems people are having trying to boot from the repository images.
If you make a 35trk disk image from your working copy then take that into the office and try it, I think you'll find it works.
Also, if you are using the 40 trk image from the repo, there are NO 40trk DW images in the repo. All the 40 trk images are for standard (real) drives which again, will NOT work in a 35 trk disk system. So if you stick a 40trk image in dw4, it will start to boot then look to the floppy for it's bootfile then fail.

All in all, use a DW boot disk from the repo and cobbler a 35 trk disk while in that system. Copy the CMDS (all will not fit, only important ones like grfdrv, shell etc.) and SYS as well as sysgo and startup to that disk and I think you'll find it works.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com