[Coco] ack!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri May 31 22:23:19 EDT 2013

On Friday 31 May 2013 22:15:55 Bill Pierce did opine:

> Wayne, The Level 3 that Curtis is referring to is a complete rewrite of
> RBF & SCF by Alan Dekok that lock's their modules into their own
> address space allowing more contegious memory for the whole boot file.
> It was never used in NitrOS9 as it was never stable. Through the years
> it was forgotten by most as it was known by even fewer. Alan had a
> website which (I think) is on the wayback machine or one of those
> website archives, explaining the whole process, but the file links are
> long gone. The main module sources (only 2) are in the nitros9 repo but
> all the supporting patches to the other modules were (seemingly) lost.
> Gene has worked with this recently but ran into problems trying to
> include drivewire as the dw drivers/descriptors reside both in rbf and
> scf which is a no-no in the Level 3 setup. I don't know if he got it to
> boot without dw... Gene?

It is probably something I should try at some point.  However, this is the
first I had heard that rbf.mn and scf.mn were specifically re-written for
level 3.  I assume that those modules that are in the NOS96309 level3 tree
then are different.

If that can be confirmed, and those src's located, its possibly worth
another play at it.  I just took a look at my tree here, and they are NOT
part of the level3 tree on my drive.