[Coco] ack!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri May 31 18:08:55 EDT 2013

What I would like to know is what you guys are puttinginto your boots to make them "too big"?
I put everything in my boot but the kitchen sink and I'm currently thinking of throwing that in so the coco can wash dishes while it's running...
Since I've been using NitrOS-9, I haven't had any problems with boot size (that I know of). I run CoWin, CoVDG, MIDI, DW, EmuDsk & Becker drivers (on my emulator boots), B&B dirvers, ramdisk, & more.
Are your boots creating an error, not booting, or just no memory when running?
I do not try to load ALL the window descriptors... only 7. I also do not load all the DW /Nx descriptors. Only 7 of those as well with /MIDI being 8. I also only load 2 VDG descriptors.
One thing that's saved me some memory is using Gene's "MyRam" ramdisk. It does not use or allocate any memory (other than the space it resides in) until it's used then only the amount requested. It can then be "turned off" (deinized) and returns all memory properly. Then can be resized and used again. Nice work Gene :-)

Here's a list of my boots

Emu(vcc)            Coco 3            Coco 1
rel                rel                   rel
boot            boot                krn
krn              krn                  krnp2
krnp2          krnp2              init
ioman         ioman             boot
init              init                  ioman
rbf              rbf                  rbf
rbdw3        rbdw3            rbdw3
dw3            dw3                dw3
x0                dd                dd
x1                x1                x1
x2                x2                x2
x3                x3                x3
emudsk        bbfhdisk     rb1773
dd                h0                d0
h0                h1                d1
rb1773        rb1773         d2
d0                d0                scf
d1                d1                vtio
d2                d2                cohr
ram              ram            term
r0                r0                scbbp
scf                scf            p
vito                vtio            scdwn
keydrv        keydrv            N
joydrv        joydrv            N1
snddrv        snddrv            N2
N                N                N3
N1                N1                N4
N2                N2                Midi
N3                N3                Pipeman
N4                N4                piper
N5                N5                Pipe
N6                N6                clock
N7                N7                clock2
midi                midi                sysgo
v1                v1
v2                v2
scdwp        scdwp
p                p
pipeman    vrn
piper            vi
pipe            fttd
clock            pipeman
clock2            piper
                    pipe
                    clock
                    clock2

As you can see.. They are not small. So far, I have no problems using the C compiler, assemblers, Ultimuse3 (which uses MUCHO mem), DW4Man or Sound Chaser.
The Level 2 boots open with ramdisk and 3 80 col text windows of which 2 usually get changed to hi-res by Ed 3.1. The level 1 is in hi-res 51 col mode. I haven't done much on level 1 yet but I suspect I'll be trimming that boot back for the C compiler. I remember it was a memory hog in Level 1.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com