[Coco] Just learning OS-9 - Questions

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun May 26 18:59:44 EDT 2013

Mr Gault,
I disagree with the "Level 3". I have the Brother Jeremy "upgrade" disks and these are not them. Bro. Jeremy's disks were labeled as "upgrade" disks. They are full of notes and readmes plus the graphics for the intro screen and such. The other disks in the group were full of notes from the OS-9 upgrade team. They are in the maltedmedia archive and have very descriptive filenames as well as a note explaining where they come from. The ONLY "Level 3" version I've ever seen was the one developed by Alan Dekok. A couple of his sources are still in the repo with his notes on how to assemble it. He had a website for it but it's long gone. I ran this version at one time but ther were problems Alan hadn't worked out yet.

The filename of these disks in the Color Computer Archive SPECIFICALLY" state:

os9l2v030002cc_DS40_0.dsk
os9l2v030002cc_DS40_1.dsk
os9l2v030002cc_DS40_2.dsk
os9l2v030002cc_DS40_3.dsk
os9l2v030002cc_ss35_1.dsk
os9l2v030002cc_ss35_2.dsk

Which is identical to the naming convention of the Nitros9 distro disks. BUT.. They are not "NitrOS-9" disks as they are just "OS-9" disks with the patches & fixes from all the ones who were doing such things at the time. I think if you look closely enough within the nitros9 sourceforge files (old branches) you will find identical copies of these disks AND a copy of Bro Jeremy's "Upgrade Song". I was mistakening these for the Phoenix release but I think it was actually the release after Phoenix, hence the "Aries". If I'm not mistaken, 2.0 was labeled the "Phoenix" release as it was OS-9 rising up from the ashes (according to the messages and changelogs) :-)
Phoenix was the beginning point for the current NitrOS-9.. along with a mix of the commercial NitrOS-9 by GaleForce. I may be wrong, but I just recently went through every version of OS-9/NitrOS-9 I could find and read all the "changelogs" and readme files and this fits the scheme....

Bill P

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia