[Coco] Just learning OS-9 - Questions

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun May 26 18:01:09 EDT 2013

Nick Marentes wrote:
>  > Not heard of that version. Maybe that's a reference to the equivalent of a
>  > Level3. There is a Level3 in the NitrOS-9 source code.
>
> OS-9 Level 2 v3.00:
>
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Disks/Operating%20Systems/OS-9/Level%202/

OK, there are several directories on that site where OS-9 Level-2 can be found.
If you are working with
OS9 Level 2 (198x)(Tandy)(Disk 1 of 2)[26-3031].DSK
OS9 Level 2 (198x)(Tandy)(Disk 2 of 2)[26-3031].DSK
or
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Disks/Operating%20Systems/OS-9/Level%202/OS9_Level_2/
the Config command is on disk2 and/or the Boot-Config-Basic09 disk.

The Level2 V3 set on this site say
Aries Beta1 with release dates as recent as 08/22/02.

On the disks is the text file 'upgrade_song' written by Brother Jeremy, 1995. So
this set is actually a "Level3" not L2V3 and has patches distributed by Brother
Jeremy. It should also be what is included in the NitrOS-9 source files under
Level3.
I'm not familiar with the changes that are included with Jeremy's disks.

> -----------------------------------
>
> Seems like building an OS-9 custom disk is one of the most confusing and
> frustrating things for a newbie trying to get into OS-9.
>
> Is there such thing as an OS-9 installer?

As such, no. The equivalent can be found on the NitrOS-9 distribution disks as a
script. When the script is run, a "standard" OS-9 disk is created and stocked
with a minimalist set of commands.
It is relatively easy to edit the script and the text file lists it uses to
cause the script to create custom OS-9 bootable disks.

> I can see a huge benefit if there existed a disk that booted to a minimalist
> OS-9 and ran an OS-9 installer. This disk would contain all the known drivers,
> devices, commands and modules and the installer would ask you a few questions
> along the way and build a working and bootable OS-9 disk.
>
> Like installing Windows or Mac-OS. These OS's would be difficult to install if
> one had to crawl through each and every DLL file just to setup the OS.
>
> With a well designed and easy to understand installer, the process shift away
> from trying to get the OS to work so that people can use and create new
> applications to run from it.
>
> Nick

Well, OS-9 was never that easy a system to learn. You can try the Wiki at
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=Main_Page
or look at the documentation on sites like
ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/
or
ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/

Of course questions can be posted here, but getting answers depends on the
ability of the questioner to ask appropriate questions and responders to
generate useful answers. The results can leave much to be desired. :)

Robert