[Coco] BASIC09 - How good is it?

Mike Rowen mike at bcmr3.net
Tue May 14 06:06:09 EDT 2013

Nick,
There are many editors for OS-9. I'm like you and prefer to do all programming on the CoCo itself. I have always used Ved by Bob van der Poel. It's small, but feature rich. It's still available at Cloud-9. Basic09 is a much better environment to work in because you can keep each routine (procedure) in it's own file, so no giant monolithic edit. You just reload the code you've edited to test/debug. Also, OS-9 has windowing, so one window can run the editor, while another has BASIC09 running. A full library of graphic routines are provided. You simply call these from BASIC09.

I strongly recommend you grab the PDFs for "The Official BASIC09 Tour Guide"  & "The Rainbow Guide to OS-9 L2". These are both Tutorial. The NitrOS9 docs & OS9 docs will provide most of the rest. You should have no problem running OS-9 / NitrOS-9 from Drivewire. Come on in, the water's fine! ;)

-Mike