[Coco] Graphics modes

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Mon May 13 22:16:44 EDT 2013

Bill,
I had the same problem when I used the Composite Video output on my Coco 3
when I plugged it into a High-Definition TV for initial testing.  I started
playing with the xmode command just as Luis mentioned below and found that
changing the background color and border color to black and the foreground
color to green or white caused the resulting window to be very readable even
on a Composite Video Monitor or the HDTV setup I used when I first started
testing my new cocos I had recently acquired.
I was then told about the NitrOS-9 command 'ded' that edits binary files, so
I started looking around in the OS9BOOT file and started comparing the hex
listing to the xmode listing of the various /Wx devices and found that If I
remember correctly the foreground color, the Background color, and the
Border Color are the last three bytes before the W7 near the end of the
OS9BOOT file.  You can search using ASCII strings to find W7 or any other
window you wish to play with and then backup three bytes to find the ones
that match the FBC, BGC, BDC bytes in the xmode /w7 listing and then just
edit them.  It was very easy and once you get the hang of it, you might get
bolder and start playing with other values.  :)  I haven't had a need yet,
but I'm sure I will eventually.  Remember the values are in Hexidecimal.
Now my NitrOS-9 setup boots up into whatever colors I like.  It is so cool!
I really like the black background.  I have since acquired a CM-8 so that is
no longer a problem for my Coco 3 setup, but my coco 1 must use a Color
Composite Video monitor, so I'm sure I will be doing this for my Coco 1
setup.
By the way, are there any memory upgrades possible for the Coco 1 or Coco 2
to go beyond 64K?
I remember there was not much ram left once OS-9 (and now NitrOS-9) was
booted.  37K under the original OS-9 is not much to play with and it's even
less under Level II on the Coco 3 128K, only three 8K blocks.  I can't
hardly do anything.  I really need to upgrade my Coco 3's memory.  I'm
thinking seriously of getting Cloud-9 Tech's B2 Bomber looking 512K ram
memory upgrade card.
Anyway, Good Luck and Happy NitrOS-9ing!
Kip