[Coco] MESS

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri May 10 20:27:09 EDT 2013

a.lagana at snet.net wrote:
> Hmm for some reason having the rgbdos rom was still booting me into ‘Disk Extended Basic’ and still no joy with DOS255.
>

> What I did to make it work was to use the NitrOS9boot.os9 file I got from somewhere - load that into Drive0 and DOS from DECB.  It booted NitrOS-9 and also loaded the .VHD since I customized that and saw the changes.  This will work for now, ill tinker some more as I would like Drive 0 free and not require it loaded to start NitrOS9.
>

> Odd thing was I had customized the border color to Cyan and in MESS it is purple?  Ill have to play around with ‘display’ in MESS.
>

> Thanks for all the help everyone - that is the true joy of this community!
>

> Aldo

Well, now you have finally stated clearly what you wanted to do. That is boot
NitrOS-9 from the .vhd drive without using a floppy. That is not what you have
said in previous messages.

If you have been using the .vhd image that came with VCC, you should not have
had any trouble doing what you wanted. When using RGBDOS with MESS so that you
can read the Disk Basic drives (0-255) on the .vhd, you could boot into NitrOS-9
with the command DOS253.
I think that .vhd image had the boot disk on drive 253 but it could be on any of
the drives 253-255. In that case, just change the command to DOS# where # is the
correct drive number.

Robert