[Coco] MESS

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri May 10 08:30:54 EDT 2013

Bill Pierce wrote:

> Aldo,
>>From what I remember, you have to put the RGBDOS.ROM in the cartridge slot. The disk rom goes in the rom dir as usual. You must turn off the "cart auto start" in the config.
> This should bring you up in rgbdos as Vcc does, then all else should be the same.
> I know Mr Gault will correct me if I'm wrong :-)

Bill,

Your description will work with many of the MESS versions, but as MESS keeps
changing, users should try several techniques.

Turning off the cart autostart can help with RGBDOS mounted in a cart slot but
may not be needed. Disk controllers are not wired for autostart and should not
do so. MESS may or may not prevent correct Coco3 emulation if a cart autostarts;
probably depends on the version.

The simplest method is replacing the disk11.rom (in the roms directory) with
RGBDOS after renaming RGBDOS to disk11.rom. This works with the oldest versions
of MESS. If MESS complains about crc errors and you are using a version that
permits turning off crc checking, do that.

Recent versions of MESS no longer have the option of turning off crc checking,
so the stock disk11.rom must be retained in the roms directory and rgbdos.rom
gets mounted in the cartslot.

Robert