[Coco] Question for Cloud9

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Fri May 10 10:14:36 EDT 2013

> On 10/05/2013 2:51 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>
>> Mark, this is not really COCO related but just out of curiosity
>> does anyone there have experience or interest in the other TRS-80's?
>> Have you ever looked at or even given a thought to making a version
>> of your SuperIDE that would work with Model III and Model 4 TRS-80's?
>
> There are (also) a few IDE designs floating around that allow you to hook
> up
> a CF card (or IDE drive if you'd prefer) to the non-Coco TRS-80 models.
> They're more DIY projects than off-the-shelf products, but they're also
> relatively simple.

Yeah, I have seen them but was hoping for somethingmore plug-and-play.

> There's not really any scope to have any ROM/flash mapped into the TRS-80
> address space either, so arguably that's half the advantage of the
> SuperIDE rendered irrelevant.

Actually, I see that as a simplification.  :-)

> The recently developed SD-based design looks like it's going to take off -
> already 2.5x the orders than the initially planned production run. It's a
> nice, simple microcontroller-based design that emulates the original hard
> drive controller (mostly) in software. I suspect it'll quickly become the
> de-facto standard for hard drive emulation on the TRS-80 models.

Looks like I need to find that group and get my name on the list.
Only problem is it is yet another place I have to go to find things.
Having been on USENET since very early in its life I find these
other usurpers cumbersome and inconvenient.  :-)

Thanks.

bill