[Coco] Question for Cloud9

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri May 10 08:35:19 EDT 2013

On 10/05/2013 2:51 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> Mark, this is not really COCO related but just out of curiosity
> does anyone there have experience or interest in the other TRS-80's?
> Have you ever looked at or even given a thought to making a version
> of your SuperIDE that would work with Model III and Model 4 TRS-80's?

There are (also) a few IDE designs floating around that allow you to hook up
a CF card (or IDE drive if you'd prefer) to the non-Coco TRS-80 models.
They're more DIY projects than off-the-shelf products, but they're also
relatively simple.

There's not really any scope to have any ROM/flash mapped into the TRS-80
address space either, so arguably that's half the advantage of the SuperIDE
rendered irrelevant.

The recently developed SD-based design looks like it's going to take off -
already 2.5x the orders than the initially planned production run. It's a
nice, simple microcontroller-based design that emulates the original hard
drive controller (mostly) in software. I suspect it'll quickly become the
de-facto standard for hard drive emulation on the TRS-80 models.

Regards,