[Coco] CoCo-X is not dead - MCC-216 version?

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Thu May 9 13:07:42 EDT 2013

Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 11:35:02 -0400
From: Bill Loguidice<bill at armchairarcade.com>
Subject: Re: [Coco] CoCo-X is not dead

The MCC-216 right now supports C-64, Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum, Amiga ECS,
and Apple II, so yeah, it's pretty versatile. I have one (the S-VIDEO
version; there's also a VGA version), but I have to say, it's not
especially user friendly (at least for me). Once it's setup, though, it
works fine. It supports a standard mouse/keyboard and joystick. I'm not
sure how well these have sold. I suspect it would have sold far better if
it were a bit more user friendly and purpose the use case was clearer.
There's also of course the argument that all you're really doing here is
creating a purpose built emulation machine, and there's not much of a
market for that since you can do that easily enough on any PC or mobile
platform.

Well, the MCC-216 is very small and doesn't take much power. Easy to put in a CoCo case if you wanted, or just velcro it to the back of a flat screen monitor.

I think if someone developed a CC3 core for it at least a few here would buy one. Would be nice if there was some usable I/O other than the joystick ports (which can be used for limited outside control projects), but you have to take what you can get! There is a 10 pin GPIO connector that is specified as "for future use/additions" that could be programmed as a PIA I bet, that would be a nice touch!

If someone makes a core, then a simplified instruction set to set it up could be developed. Someone could make a few bucks by offering to program it ready to go too. Once you get the hang of it $10-20 plus return shipping ($20-30 total) would be fair, I'd think.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine