[Coco] Memory Map

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed May 8 09:00:13 EDT 2013

Louis Ciotti wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.  The manual only talks about changing the org statement
> when using it with zbug standalone.
>
> So I can assume that the ORG statement is not a "requirement" when writing
> an assembly program.

Forget about writing programs for EDTASM DOS or standalone ZBUG. Instead develop
your code (when possible) to run with the EDTASM embedded ZBUG. Look at chapter
8 in the EDTASM manual.
The final code should be written (if possible) to work with the ROMs if needed
or without reliance on any DOS.

ORG statements are not required but can be crucial depending on the needs or
your program. If that sounds contradictory, it is not.
For example, let's say you want to patch parts of the COCO3 ROM. The easiest
method would be to use multiple ORG statements so that the patches get loaded
(LOADM) into memory at the right locations.
With your demo program, it could be anywhere in "free" memory and still work, so
the ORG is not necessary.

Robert